Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2014 08:42:59 -0800
From:      David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: switching from ports to pkg -- mailman group mismatch

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 07:57:31AM -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> On 12/3/2014 8:58 PM, David Benfell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm having to give up on ports. Way too many are broken.
> >
> > So now I'm trying to fix mailman and it's stupid group mismatch error.
> >
> > Nothing I'm finding on the web is offering a fix that actually works.
> > How do I fix it?
>=20
> Did you look at the Mailman FAQ? http://goo.gl/MlPNkO
>=20
> The pkg is compiled with the default values shown in the port's Makefile.

I found a problem when, in desperation, I recompiled the port.

There, it says that the pkg assumes sendmail: I use postfix.

There are a couple bad things here.

First, and most obvious, there seems to be no way to meaningfully
track down this error. I was just mystified and left without a clue.
And I don't even have a good reason for why group ownership should be
an issue. This smells to high heaven like a problem somebody created
because they *thought* it would improve security somehow, without any
clear notion of *how* it would improve security.

Second, I now find myself in a situation where some software must be
installed with pkg and some must be installed from ports. If it's just
mailman, that's one thing. If it becomes a bunch of packages, I have a
real mess on my hands.

I've seen the advice about sticking with default choices in
configuring port installations. If you can have any choices you like
as long as they're the defaults, then what, really, is the point of
having ports?

--=20
David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the