Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:33:13 -0400
From:      Jim Trigg <jtrigg@spamcop.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i keep *trying* to move from portupgrade to portmaster

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 04:34, jhell wrote:
>> Do not prompt for a backup package creation failure
>
> I need to add an option for this, but it will likely be an "expert"
> option that you can set in the rc file. The theory is that package
> creation failure should be a rare thing, and since portmaster has no way
> to know what packages are really critical to any given system it treats
> inability to safely recover from an upgrade failure as a critical error.
> However, having the ability to disable this is an oft-requested feature,
> I just haven't gotten to it yet.
>
>> and force creation of whatever you have on the system already?
>
> Not sure what this means, can you explain it in more detail?

One example I have (unfortunately): I accidentally wiped out
/usr/local/.  Reinstalling all my ports was easy -- first reinstall
portmaster and then run "portmaster -af".  The problem was that for
every single port I had to say "Yes, ignore the fact that the port
wasn't already there".  So I had to tend the process all the way
through.  An option to force ignoring the package creation failure
would allow that to be an unattended process.

Jim