Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:30:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcl 7.6 & tk 4.2

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Maybe it is better to wait for version 8 (or currently use their beta
> > versions) and forget about Tcl 7.6/Tk 4.2.
>
> I lean leavily towards the former option.  After listening to Brent
> Welch speak at the Tcl/Tk BOF this past USENIX about some of the
> things they have in 8.0 or are upcoming for the full release, I'd say
> that 8.0 is more than just another revision bump - it's a jumping-off
> point for a whole new style of interaction with Tcl & Tk, and it's
> going to be sort of a "get on the bandwagon or be forever left behind"
> kind of proposition for many of the existing applications.  Once Tcl
> 8.0 is mature, I think it'd also be a really good replacement for the
> Tcl 7.5 which is already in our source tree.  It has better support
> for "objects" and the kinds of abstract data types which come up
> frequently in Real Life(tm).

I completely agree.  I understand 8.0 is at least a month or two away, and
could easily be longer, but when it hits, I think it's a strong candidte
for upgrading our src tcl and our ports tk.

I really think the pain of making multiple tcl/tk versions coexist is
really not worth the cost.  Since the 8.0 upgrade is so major, I would be
for just cutting the ties and forcing an upgrade.  That it means that we
would have to listen to complaints I understand. but the complaints
involved with the problems of running multiple version would (I feel) be
just as bad.

> 					Jordan

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |