Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:31:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not only ftpd's problem with ls */../*.....

    Ultimately the only thing I care about is that we not arbitrarily limit
    a global libc function by default, so I don't care which solution is
    adopted (api call, structural flag/field, resource limit) as long as
    the default for glob() is left unlimited.

    There are advantages and disadvantages to using the datasize resource
    limit or an API call / structural field inside ftpd to limit the glob
    function.   The biggest advantage of the datasize resource limit is that
    it is under the ultimate control of the sysad and requires no changes
    to the system at all (other then backing out the glob commit).  The
    disadvantage is that our current installworld process will not update
    inetd.conf autoamtically, so most of our target audience won't get the
    fix.

    The advantage of an API call / structure field is that we can build a
    reasonable limit into ftpd (and only ftpd), so our target audience gets
    the fix as the default, but now we have to provide an additional option
    to ftpd to set (or entirely remove) the limit to give sysads the ability
    to adjust it.

						-Matt