Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:21:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Squires <mikes@ct980320-b.blmngtn1.in.home.com>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Samba shares timeout on windows mount

> I have set up several Samba servers in the past and each and every one has
> this symptom. Any help would be appreciated.

You have "xl1" as a network interface, which is a hardware interface and
not an IP network.

You are forcing the samba server to win browse master elections with
os level higher than 33.  This may or may not work, and is partly
dependent on the Windows version you are using.

If your clients are Win2K there is a known bug where Win2K goes looking
for services that are non-existent on an SMB (or NT4 for that
matter) server and a registry modification is required to fix this.

I would suggest running "ethereal" which is a packet sniffer and getting
packet traces.  You will probably find out that browsing is broken on
your MS networks, which will tell you where to look.

My home network uses an NT4 domain controller and the SMB server has
OS = 3, so it won't become the browse master.  I also use NTHOSTS
entries in TCP/IP setup with all the local systems in it.

Is your /var/spool/lock chmod 755 ?

Mike Squires

My smb.conf looks like this:

 [global]
   workgroup = SQUIRES
   server string = Samba Server
   hosts allow = 10.1.5
   load printers = yes
   log level = 0
   debug level = 0
   log file = /var/log/log.%m
   max log size = 500000
   security = user
   interfaces = 10.1.5.1
   encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
   read raw = yes
   write raw = yes
   shared mem size =  6291456
   os level = 3