Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:40:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   K7V problem?

I recently upgraded my personal machine, and am having a problem
attempting to install FreeBSD.  It appears to be a hardware issue, which
is why I'm sending this here.

The machine in question is an Athlon/850 on an Asus K7V (BIOS 1007) with a
256M PC-133 DIMM.

Motherboard devices are channel 1 of IDE controller, with LS-120 attached,
serial 1 enabled, LPT enabled in ECP mode(DMA 3), two USB controllers, and
floppy controller (no floppies drives, but no option to disable the
onboard contoller).

PCI devices are Creative 3D Blaster Annihilator2 (GeForce2 GTS 32MB AGP),
Canopus Pure3D2 (Voodoo2 12MB), Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+, Adaptec 2940
UW SCSI, and SoundBlaster Live!.

SCSI devices are IBM 4.3G UW, Seagate 4.0G UN, Plextor UltraPlex (32x),
Plextor UltraPlex 40max, Plextor PlexWriter 8/20, and Archive Python 4mm
DDS2 tape drive.

The machine will not boot a FreeBSD cdrom, nor will it boot a FreeBSD
floppy.  Of interest is that it will boot a Windows NT cdrom, but not a
Win98 floppy.  It will boot Win9x(DOS) or NT install floppy just fine as
well.

When attempting to boot from the CD, the machine locks immediately after
the adaptec card reports "SCSI BIOS installed successfully".  Hard locks.
requires hard reset.  This is the same for a Win98 CD.  Something in the
way FBSD and Win98 load themselves into memory is obviously unhappy.

If I attempt to boot from a floppy, the machine gets to the point where it
reads from the floppy, and then stops.  No output to screen of any sort.
I can ctrl-alt-del at that point, so it's not as bad as the cd lockup.

I'm considering maybe removing the LS-120 and trying a traditional floppy
drive to see if that works, but I really like, and want to keep my LS-120
drive.  The optimal solution is to figure out why it won't boot from the
CD direct, but I'll take booting from floppy.

As a side note, OS/2 warp boots most of it's second floppy, but dies as
well.  I'm certain OS/2's problem is complete lack of clue on how to deal
with the LS-120 though.

I'm sure others out there are using this motherboard, and I would really
appreciate any input that can be offered.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"