Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:07:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru
Subject:   Re: Mysql segfaults; is the culprit libstdc++, pthread, regex ...?

In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0012061848340.45150-200000@iclub.nsu.ru>,
Max Khon  <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru> wrote:

> now I can confirm that on latest -stable without "linking shared
> objects with libgcc_[r]_pic" changes ACE wrappers tests run
> correctly without segfaults. test program ("bad" one) from PR/23252
> also does not segfault anymore.

Excellent sleuthing from Max, as always.  Thanks!

> and yes, seems that anything using C++ and threads is broken in
> 4.2-RELEASE :( I think that changes to compiler and binutils should
> be tested in -current for much longer period of time before MFC and
> should be MFC'ed long before release date.

Fair enough.  And as the person who urged that libgcc be linked into
all shared libraries, I'll take the blame for this one.  It was the
classic fix-a-bug-and-create-a-new-bug syndrome.  The reason for the
addition of libgcc was to fix a backward-compatibility bug introduced
when we made exceptions work right.  And the reason we rammed the
exceptions fix into 4.2 was because a bunch of folks (including
*cough* you, Max, if I remember correctly) told us in no uncertain
terms that we just HAD to fix that before 4.2 was released.  It's hard
to know how to resolve that kind of conflict without simply slipping
the release date -- which was not an option, according to Jordan.

John