Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:22:29 +0400
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to deal with pkg-config .pc files?

Hi!

I'm creating port that install pkgcofig .pc file, and now I have some
questions:

1) Should I add USE_GNOME=pkgconfig line?
I don't think it's needed, as the port installs .pc file anyway and
doesn't call pkg-config at all. But other ports usually use it, so maybe
it should be added for consistency?

2) Should I @dirrmtry libdata/pkgconfig?
I'm a bit confosed here. There's libdata/pkgconfig in both X11BASE and
LOACLBASE, and neither is removed from pkg-config's plist.
That seem to be errorneous:

@unexec rmdir %%LOCALBASE%%/lib/pkgconfig 2>/dev/null || true
@unexec rmdir %%X11BASE%%/lib/pkgconfig 2>/dev/null || true

shouldn't it be:

@unexec rmdir %%LOCALBASE%%/libdata/pkgconfig 2>/dev/null || true
@unexec rmdir %%X11BASE%%/libdata/pkgconfig 2>/dev/null || true

It seems that correct answer is:
- use USE_GNOME=pkgconfig
- don't use @dirrm libdata/pkgconfig
- pkg-config's plist is incorrect

Then the last needs to be corrected and maybe Porter's handbook should
be updated, as there are ports that don't USE_GNOME=pkgconfig and do
@dirrm. Or correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Best regards,
  Dmitry Marakasov               mailto:amdmi3@amdmi3.ru