Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:33:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      Jesse Reynolds <jesser@drives.rta.nsw.gov.au>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: ftp proxy with ports installs...

Right...

Well it's just the Netscape Proxy server, of Netscape Enterprise 351...
It's a pretty popular beastie.

I guess the thing is that it's listining on port 8888, and listens for
both http and ftp requests on this port. Probably there is a standard
proxy authentication scheme whereby a username / password is sent in the
http header of the request... which makes me think fetch would need to
talk http 1.1 or some such.

Another alternative is for me to bypass the proxy server and the gauntlet
firewall directly, which doesn't require authentication... The way that
works is as follows:

bash-2.03$ ftp gw
Connected to gw.domainx.com.
220 gw.domainx.com FTP proxy (Version 3.2) ready.
Name (gw:jesser): anonymous@ftp.freebsd.org
331-(----GATEWAY CONNECTED TO ftp.freebsd.org----)
331-(220 wcarchive.cdrom.com FTP server (Version DG-3.1.37 Sun Jun 20
21:18:25 PDT 1999) ready.)
331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
Password:
230-Welcome to wcarchive - home FTP site for Walnut Creek CDROM.
230-There are currently 5315 users out of 6000 possible.

This would be difficult to automate with fetch, wouldn't it?

cheers

jesse