Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:16:50 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Karli_Sj=F6berg?= <Karli.Sjoberg@slu.se>
To:        "marius@nuenneri.ch" <marius@nuenneri.ch>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RFE - FreeBSD Port: zfs-snapshot-mgmt-20090201_2

Hi!

I am a storage-technician working at the Swedish University of Agriculture =
and we are using zfs-snapshot-mgmt to create scheduled snapshots, but are f=
ailing on our disaster-recovery machine because of:

/usr/local/bin/zfs-snapshot-mgmt:130:in `join': can't convert nil into Stri=
ng (TypeError)
from /usr/local/bin/zfs-snapshot-mgmt:130:in `snapshots'
from /usr/local/bin/zfs-snapshot-mgmt:137:in `snapshots_to_remove'
from /usr/local/bin/zfs-snapshot-mgmt:145:in `remove_snapshots'
from /usr/local/bin/zfs-snapshot-mgmt:213
from /usr/local/bin/zfs-snapshot-mgmt:210:in `each'
from /usr/local/bin/zfs-snapshot-mgmt:210

Now, since this is a disaster-recovery unit, I would rather not have to hav=
e all filesystems mounted for the script to function as we have many server=
s with many file systems backing up towards this unit, which would result i=
n quite alot of mounts that are completely unnecessary to the backup server=
 itself. I also consider it a potential security risk having all these file=
 systems, from all of these different machines mounted in the same place(se=
rver). I mean, if someone would like to steal as much valuable data as poss=
ible, why crack hundreds of servers and steal it piece by piece when you co=
uld just crack one and have it all, right? That doesn=B4t really make sense=
 because if someone were to crack the backup server they could just mount a=
ll filesystems themselves, but only if they knew they were there. But also =
having them mounted feels like just handing it to them.

Unfortunately I know nothing about programming so I can=B4t be of any help,=
 besides testing patches, but do you think this can be done? Change the scr=
ipt so that it doesn=B4t require the file systems to be mounted for it to b=
e able to take snapshots?

Med V=E4nliga H=E4lsningar
----
Karli Sj=F6berg
Box 7079 (Visiting Address Kron=E5sv=E4gen 8)
S-750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone:  +46-(0)18-67 15 66
karli.sjoberg@slu.se<mailto:karli.sjoberg@adm.slu.se>