Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 01:07:22 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kernel oplocks

"David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 11:59:34PM +0100, ian j hart wrote:
> > Samba now comes configured with kernel oplocks enabled by
> > default, implying this is part of the kernel. Can someone
> > confirm the status of this. ie is it established, or is it
> > a new feature. I wouldn't mind knowing where the source is.
> > A quick search revealed nothing.
> >
> I do not believe our kernel supports this in version 4.4 of FreeBSD,
> but you said you had problems even when you turned this off.

That's in the other post (ports). To clarify for stable readers.

[part quote]
Got the server running okay. Now I'm getting
"no response received to oplock break request..."
[mostly the logon.bat file]

[snip]

This goes away if I disable oplocks (no really), but
this causes some clients to fail to load the logon.bat
file. This is a major problem as all the shares load
via 'net use'.
[end quote]

When the client cannot lock the file it bails out. I'm not sure
this is wrong, as I'm not a lock expert. I think when you
disable oplocks it should request and wait for a _normal_ lock.

> The
> oplocks setting of "ON" should simply not work if you actually don't
> have oplocks support.  Sounds like a bug in samba, what version are
> you using?

I agree with both statements. It's 4.4-RC + samba 2.2.1a_2

Thanks again for the super quick reply.

--
ian j hart