Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2012 20:04:47 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Jan Sieka <jps@semihalf.com>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, gjb@semihalf.com, Rafal Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com>
Subject:   Re: How to add symbol to be exported in lib/libc/arm/Symbol.map

--AeHkbrJcO8giN/MO

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 02:51:09PM +0200, Jan Sieka wrote:
> Hello group!
>=20
> I have a few questions regarding adding symbols to
> lib/libc/<arch>/Symbol.map, so that function signatures are exported:
> - what are the conventions regarding putting symbols in FBSD_X.Y or
> FBSDprivate_X.Y sections of the aforementioned files?
FBSD_X.Y are for public interfaces, i.e. non-system code is supposed to
link to symbols from that versions. FBSDprivate is for exclusive base
system use (so to say). We do not guarantee ABI stability for private.

> - when it is necessary to bump X.Y numbers?
Currently, it is done when major branch is created.

> - what is the difference between FBSD_X.Y and FBSDprivate_X.Y sections?
This is a repeat.

>=20
> The above questions arose from the discussion on freebsd-arm@
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2012-June/003555.html)
> which concerns fixing Perl on ARM. The fix is to add __flt_rounds
> function signature to lib/libc/arm/Symbols.map. Regarding this fix it
> appears (after Symbols.map files analysis and checking their SVN
> history) that adding this symbol is just a bug fix and should be put to
> FBSD_1.0 section without incrementing numbers. But I don't have more
> in-depth explanation so sending this email.
No, since you are adding it in the CURRENT-10 timeframe, it goes
to FBSD_1.3.

>=20
> Anyone can comment on the above questions or point to some documentation
> (I've searched Developer's Handbook and Internet but found nothing)?
http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/symver/freebsd_versioning.txt

In fact, I do not like this policy, and would some day write a proposal,
which essentially requests creation of separate version for each ABI change.
But what is referenced is the current accepted project policy.

--AeHkbrJcO8giN/MO

--AeHkbrJcO8giN/MO--