Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:36:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Kamil Choudhury <Kamil.Choudhury@anserinae.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: There is currently no usable release of FreeBSD. - denouement

Friends,

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, Kamil Choudhury wrote:

> Use the branch which offers (for you) the best balance of features
> and "support time remaining". Legacy isn't the same as unusable.

Of course I'm not actually asking for suggestions as to which release to
use - we're[1] heavily invested in FreeBSD and spend a lot of time and
money on testing and due diligence for what is the sole OS platform for
our core businesses.

Most of you recognized this as a continuation of the long (and productive,
I thought) conversation from March 2012 titled "FreeBSD has serious
problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle".

So I was curious where we were at 2.5 years later.

And that's what lead to my rhetorical question:  If you're not a hobbyist,
and you need to go into production and withstand stakeholder scrutiny,
what do you do with a single x.0 release and two legacy releases ?

My favorite response was "use stable" which, in two words, tells you
*everything you need to know* about FreeBSD development.

John Kozubik

[1] rsync.net