Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 18:30:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        bob@luke.pmr.com (Bob Willcox)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I remove hard links between directories?

It seems that Bob Willcox said:
> created some hard links between a couple of directories on my system
> (2.1-STABLE) and I need to get rid of them.  Unfortunately rmdir
> simply complains that the directory is not empty (use counts on
> these two directries is 4 rather than 2).  Can someone please tell
> me a way to fix this?

Try  to get a binary of  fsdb from a -CURRENT  system. You'll be able to do
anything you want even trashing your disk completely :-)

FSDB(8)                  UNIX System Manager's Manual                  FSDB(8)

NAME
     fsdb - FFS debugging/editing tool

SYNOPSIS
     fsdb [-d] -f fsname

DESCRIPTION
     fsdb opens fsname (usually a raw disk partition) and runs a command loop
     allowing manipulation of the file system's inode data.  You are prompted
     to enter a command with fsdb (inum X)> where X is the currently selected
     i-number.  The initial selected inode is the root of the filesystem (i-
     number 2).  The command processor uses the libedit(3) library, so you can
     use command line editing to reduce typing if desired.  When you exit the
     command loop, the file system superblock is marked dirty and any buffered
     blocks are written to the file system.

     The -d option enables additional debugging output (which comes primarily
     from fsck(8)-derived  code).

COMMANDS
     Besides the built-in libedit(3) commands, fsdb supports these commands:

[...]

     uplink  Increment the active inode's link count.

     downlink
             Decrement the active inode's link count.

     linkcount number
             Set the active inode's link count to number.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #7: Mon Nov  6 21:08:06 MET 1995