Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:50:52 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Things to remove from /rescue

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:43:33AM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote this message on Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:08 -0700:
> > - ipfw & natd & ipf & ipfs & ipfstat & ipmon & ipnan, why would one needs
> >   these?  /rescue is to fix a borked /, not replace PicoBSD.
>
> ipfw I can see as useful.  If you have a kernel that defaults to closed,
> and you need to access the network, then this is a problem.  If we had

actually, this is trivial to fix:

	sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.enable=0

> a loader tunable to make a closed firewall open, then this wouldn't be

why does this need to be a loader tunable at all and not just an
ordinary sysctl ?  Just having the rights to issue the ipfw
setsockopt() suffices to add a rule and effectively change the
default behaviour.  And this is (in terms of permissions) no different
from issuing a sysctl.

	cheers
	luigi