Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:32:17 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
To:        tom@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance at home)
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Missing files/directories

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:55:11 EST, Tom Torrance at home wrote:

> I am still very suspicious of those dot files even if I am the
> only one.

Hi Tom,

Since it does indeed look like you _are_ the only one, I'd suggest
putting this discussion on hold until you can come back to the list
with the only thing that will carry the thread forward in a productive
direction.  Namely, come up with an _exact_ set of (preferably
command-line) instructions for reproducing the problem.

Since we're discussing free software, you can be fairly confident that
this isn't a conspiracy to shut you up. It's just difficult for anyone
to comment on symptoms he or she imagines impossible without seeing the
problem you're reporting. If you can produce a step-by-step guide to
reproducing the problem, you're more likely to get some solid answers to
your questions.

Until then, I imagine everyone else is probably thinking the same thing
I am -- "wtf?!" :-)

Later,
Sheldon

PS: I'd also suggest that you use just _one_ FreeBSD mailing list when
    you do follow up.