Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:42:36 -0400
From:      Dan Ponte <dcp1990@neptune.atopia.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building an older server

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:59:43AM +0300, ANdrei <lists@hausro.de> was witn=
essed plotting the following conspiracy:
> >I personally use 802.11b for the server (Linksys WMP11 v2...it's an old
> >card, but wi(4) works with it).
>=20
> I have no money to put into this server, the hardware mentioned is alread=
y=20
> in my workroom, lying around, but I can't afford to buy more. So I can us=
e=20
> any hardware from like 15 motherboards, lots of NICs and so on (all old :=
),=20
> but this is just what I thought to be the most appropiate for building a=
=20
> server, mainly because I considered 2 processors of 400MHz to be better=
=20
> then 1 of 800MHz, and because I considered that this motherboard is=20
> probably designed more carefully and for enduring more, being a board=20
> designed for servers, even if an old model...
> The  wifi cards I have are both 802.11g, I would use 802.11b if I had one=
,=20
> but I don't :) And besides I thought that once u have a 802.11b in your=
=20
> 802.11g-only network, the data throughput will be a bit slowed down on al=
l=20
> clients (not down to 11MBps, but not as good as without the 802.11b clien=
t=20
> in ur network) - can anyone confirm this (we had a review on this in our=
=20
> CHIP Magazine, a few months ago).

Check HARDWARE.txt to see if the card is supported; it should work
fine...I never intended to imply that it wouldn't. However, I was
somewhat implying that most 802.11b cards are probably already
supported. Check around.

>=20
> >I can't comment here, as I only use WEP, and have only used 6 on a
> >workstation.
>=20
>=20
> well, any impressions appreciated: what did the 6 "feel" like? rock-stabl=
e=20
> or whacky? :)
> another big question: is WEP really that bad? I mean, how fast can you=20
> crack it? Is it just paranoia, or can any kid in my neighbourhood get int=
o=20
> my network? I don't expect to have THE HACKER roaming around where my=20
> server is, but there are occasional kids and neighbours who might try the=
ir=20
> 2 words computer-science they know on my network...
> so should I relax and go for 5.4 with WEP and not be stressed to get the=
=20
> 6.x with PSK?

6 was actually quite nice on that machine. It was really stable. The
machine was only a p2/333, and it was a vast improvement over what it
used to run (a really old snapshot of 5.3-STABLE).

>=20
> >You might want to check HARDWARE.txt if it's supported. An apropos(1)
> >here for "HighPoint" only yields results for hptmv(4), which supports
> >the RocketRAID 128x. You will most likely want to recompile it into your
> >kernel if such support exists; you should do so anyway, to reduce the
> >bloat and get rid of unnecessary drivers in your kernel. By the way, my
> >machine uses an Abit BH6 (single CPU, pIII/500).
>=20
> I'll check for support. I don't have access to a FreeBSD box at this=20
> moment, so I'm planning all theoretically. Once I'm close the FreeBSD box=
=20
> again I'll check, but that will also be the moment I have to quickly deci=
de=20
> what to use :) and I try not to wait until then to get an idea of=20
> everything ;)
> I will recompile the kernel anyway, but the question is if I can install =
on=20
> disks on that controller from the beginning, or do I have to do it first =
on=20
> a normal controller and only after recompiling will I see my disks on the=
=20
> HighPoint?
> btw, this is same genration of motherboard: any stability issues? they ar=
e=20
> supposed to be rock solid, right?...

I'm not sure. I've personally never used RAID under FreeBSD. I would
guess that it might support i already via a module, but I'm not sure.
The board I have is rock-solid. It's been in service here (it replaced
an Abit BX6 with a p2/300) for almost a year, never skipped a beat. Some
have told me that some revisions of the board had problems, but mine
seems to be the same that they mention, and I've had none. Both boards
were superb. Abit seems to be a very good manufacturer (or they were, I
can't comment on any of their newer boards, which I'd imagine may be
worse).

> >Use the SMP kernel (or put options SMP into yours) and it should work.
> >Most options in GENERIC should suit you fine re: processor options.
>=20
> I'll check with the handbook on this one :)
>=20
> >If it works, why not? You may be able to use gvinum or whatever we're
> >using these days for software RAID; check the handbook for more info.
>=20
> tks, this was the hint I was in need for, as I had no idea what to use of=
r=20
> software RAID. I'll check that in the handbook, too.
>=20
>=20
> tks for your kind reply,
> ANdrei
You're most welcome.
-Dan
--=20
Dan Ponte
http://www.theamigan.net/
Alimony is a system by which, when two people make a mistake, one of
them keeps paying for it.
		-- Peggy Joyce

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf--