Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:07:35 -0500
From:      Jim Pingle <lists@pingle.org>
To:        Gavin Spomer <spomerg@cwu.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding World Problems

Gavin Spomer wrote:
>>> make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>>> make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>> If you put KERNCONF into make.conf, you can simplify it to:
>> make kernel
>
> Just to be clear, if I add the appropriate KERNCONF line in /etc/make.conf, "make kernel" will take care of both "make buildkernel" AND "make installkernel"? (w/o the KERNCONF= part)
[snip]

Last I heard, the better way to define KERNCONF in make.conf is as follows:

KERNCONF?=MYKERNEL

Then you can use "make kernel" as you say, but should you need to compile a
kernel using an alternate configuration, you can still issue the "make
kernel KERNCONF=MYOTHERKERNEL" on the command line.

Similarly, if you choose to set CPUTYPE in make.conf, use a line such as:
CPUTYPE?=p4

That way it can be overridden if necessary by other commands, but will
default to your choice.

Jim