Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:06:24 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd@synertec.ene.unb.br>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DPT scsi card

>I know this is not the forum to ask this but... Are there any drivers for
>the DPT (EATA) scsi cards? There are drivers for BSDI at ftp.dpt.com and I
>suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to port it to *BSD, would it?

Yes -- I'm sure others will fill you in on the capabilities of
FreeBSD's DPT driver.

>Otherwise, are there any RAID options for FreeBSD, besides host/os
>independent solutions (which are too expensive)?

You can do RAID in software with the ccd (concatenated disk) driver.
There are FreeBSD and NetBSD servers running this all over the place.
It's rock solid extremely fast.

Of course, a DPT controller with cache RAM on it will be faster,
mainly because of the extra cache.  But spreading a bunch of SCSI
drives over two or three NCR 8xx-based SCSI cards can be considerably
less expensive, and still extremely fast.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.