Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 1997 21:39:13 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        darrylo@sr.hp.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tekram DC-390

>      The 2940 does have nice BIOS-based setup routines for configuring
> the card; the Symbios/NCR-based cards often use jumpers or DIP switches
> for setup.

My Asus SC875 has Flash BIOS on the card, and Adaptec-like boot time
BIOS config, and no jumpers. While my 2940 enters its config on
control-A, the Asus card uses control-C. Both prompt with a reminder
when they are polling for your input. The Asus manual uses the term
"Symbios Logic" so often and freely that I'm guessing its BIOS is
totally generic Symbios.

Termination is automatic with no indication as to what it chose. Manual
specifically states only 2 of the 3 SCSI connectors can be used else
you make a T out of the SCSI bus.

I have a narrow non-Ultra 2940 in my system in addition to the SC875.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net