Date:      Thu, 27 May 2010 08:46:48 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Coert <lgroups@waagmeester.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap and portupgrade question

On Thu, 27 May 2010 08:23:58 +0200, Coert <lgroups@waagmeester.co.za> wrote:
> First I completed the freebsd-update
> Then I ran portupgrade -av
> Then I ran portsnap.

It's a bit confusing to me. Why do you first update your installed
ports, then the ports database? I would thing it would make more
sense in reverse order, i. e.

	1. freebsd-update
	   This updates your operating system in binary way.

	2. portsnap
	   This brings your ports tree up to date

	3. portupgrade -av
	   This updates your installed ports.

If you don't have much ports installed, or when you're just
beginning to install a system, perform steps 1 and 2 first,
then install portupgrade (or portmaster, another great tool),
and then install everything else. This way you will receive
the latest versions of the ports. If you wish to upgrade your
installed system, perform steps 1, 2 and 3 in the proper manner.

> When I decided what to make PACKAGESITE I picked 8.0-RELEASE (not STABLE
> or CURRENT).

As you updated your system with freebsd-update to follow the
-RELEASE-p- branch, this is valid.

> Now here is my question.
> After I ran portsnap fetch extract, I ran portupgrade and got quite a
> fright. What does portsnap want to download? 8.0-RELEASE or STABLE?

The portsnap program does usually download the latest version of
the ports collection. Remember that ports do always get updated,
there basically is no -RELEASE, -STABLE or -CURRENT branch for the
ports as it is for the OS.

> I did not mirror the ports because that would be really big, so it will
> cost me a lot of time to upgrade with portupgrade.

The ports tree itself is not that big - but installed applications
can be. A portupgrade -av call would only upgrade your installed
packages, not all that exist in ports tree.

> Is there a way to do this with the binary packages instead? Or am I
> doing something wrong?

Yes, see the excellent documentation in "man portupgrade": There
are the -P and -PP switches (and -p might be interesting to you,
too, to store and maybe transfer upgraded packages to other
systems).

Additionally, there's pkg_add -r to install binary packages. You
can either install Latest or those refering to -RELEASE, depending
on what PACKAGESITE or PACKAGEROOT are set; refer to "man pkg_add"
for a better explaination.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany