Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:30:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Addendum to recommended dev/test env for -current

    Oh, two addendums.

    /FreeBSD in my example is a big parition on my -stable box, not sitting
    on the root partition obviously.  I recommend at least 3 GB.  In my
    case I actually have the CVS tree itself, a broken-out -current
    source tree, a broken-out -stable source tree, NetBSD tree, etc... on it.
    It's a great place to put source trees that I want to NFS export.  If
    you intend to use it in that manner I'd make the parition even larger -
    at least 6G.

    Also, for NFS-based development to work the *absolute path* to the
    -current source must be the same on the -stable machine as it is on
    the -current machine.  Hence in my case, /FreeBSD is a real partition
    on my -stable machine (not a softlink) and I mount it was /FreeBSD on
    the current machine.  Using softlinks to glue things together probably
    will not work, because the buildworld/buildkernel system uses the
    absolute path 'pwd' of the actual source directory to determine how to
    build/access the object directory structure.

    On my -stable box, this is what my development topology looks like:

apollo:/FreeBSD> l
FreeBSD-3.x/            NetBSD/                 initmach.sh
FreeBSD-4.x/            bench/
FreeBSD-CVS/            diff.mfs
FreeBSD-current/        diff.mkfs

apollo:/FreeBSD> ls -la /usr/src
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  24 May 28 04:03 /usr/src -> /FreeBSD/FreeBSD-4.4

    (to compile -current I manually cd into /FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src)

    I usually break ports out via CVS too, so I in fact do not export
    /usr/ports but instead make it a softlink into /FreeBSD/...  But most
    people just cvsup /usr/ports directly.

    /FreeBSD/FreeBSD-4.x/... is, of course, a cvs checkout of the RELENG_4
    tag.  FreeBSD-3.x/ is of course the RELENG_3 tag, and -current is of
    course the HEAD branch.

    I also keep handy-dandy scripts in /FreeBSD, like 'initmach.sh', which
    initializes a machine from scratch, and benchmarks and stuff.

apollo:/usr> ls -la ports
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  30 May 28 04:03 ports -> /FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports

    On my -current box the softlink look like this (with /FreeBSD mounted via
    a read-only NFS mount):

test3:/home/dillon> cd /usr
test3:/usr> ls -la src
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  28 Aug  5 18:15 src -> /FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src

							-Matt