Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 18:52:27 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        martin@msp.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/BIND integration?

> (3) Is there a technical description of how different "packages" (such as
> BIND) are integrated into FreeBSD?  Or is this a case of "follow
> freebsd-hackers, study the source, and learn by yourself"?  Note that I
> wouldn't complain about the latter, just want to save time by knowing what to
> expect.

Basically, yes, although I'm sure it would be well received if someone
were to write it up and submit it to the documentation team. 8-)

Generally, "packages" (I'm sure there's a better word but I can't
think of it now) get added or updated if there's some new
functionality or bug-fix that's needed, or even just because the
existing one was looking rather stale. FreeBSD is generally rather
conservative about this and things aren't added or upgraded unless
they've been around for a while and the bugs have been eliminated (or
at least identified and worked round).

Actually integrating the code requires getting it to compile and work
under FreeBSD, obviously, but it also has to fit smoothly into the
FreeBSD way of doing things. This can mean anything from editing an
install target (so that the various parts go in the "right" places) to
having to completely re-write all the makefiles in a package to get
them to work at all with Berkeley make. One of the best things about
FreeBSD is that you can re-compile the whole system just by typing
'make world', but an awful lot of blood, sweat and tears went into
getting it that way (particularly for things like the GNU programs
which were designed with a quite different paradigm in mind).

BTW if you're interested in this kind of thing, freebsd-current is worth
keeping an eye on as well.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk