Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:25:08 -0400
From:      Mike Pelletier <mike@compar.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pppd -> Cisco

I'd really prefer to talk to freebsd-answers, but I'll take what I
can get!

    I'm trying to establish an ISDN connection with a national
provider.  They are using a Cisco 7513, I am using a Motorola Bitsurfr
Pro, which is just an ISDN "modem", and either of the two popular PPP
packages (pppd and user-ppp).  The provider uses CHAP authentication.
However, I find myself totally unable to negotiate an authentication
method, never mind actually authenticate.  Perhaps I'm reading the debug
info wrong:

Jul 13 14:55:22 skippy pppd[6469]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x90 <mru 1600>
<asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap>]
Jul 13 14:55:22 skippy pppd[6469]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x41 <mru 1600>
<asyncmap 0x0>]
Jul 13 14:55:22 skippy pppd[6469]: sent [LCP ConfNak id=0x90 <auth chap
05>]
Jul 13 14:55:22 skippy pppd[6469]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x41 <mru 1600>
<asyncmap 0x0>]
Jul 13 14:55:22 skippy pppd[6469]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x91 <mru 1600>
<asyncmap 0x0>]
Jul 13 14:55:22 skippy pppd[6469]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x91 <mru 1600>
<asyncmap 0x0>]

    To me, this reads, peer requests we use an MRU of 1600, a blank
asyncmap, and PAP authentication.  I tell peer I will use the proposed
MRU and asyncmap, but I must have CHAP authentication.  Peer ACK's, and
revises his request, with _no_ authentication.  I agree to new config.
Then I get hung up on, because I didn't authenticate.

    The user-level PPP package produces identical results.

    I've called many times saying it looks like they have PAP turned on,
or CHAP turned off, but they say they've checked it over and over, and
it's correct.  If I accept PAP authentication, it seems to ignore my
authentication packets, and hangs up.  Is there know problem dealing
with this router?  Is there some deficiency in these PPP packages which
makes it somehow incompatible?  Is the phone company screwing with my
head?  Any help would be appreceated.

Thanks!
Mike.