Date:      Tue, 20 May 2008 17:36:26 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Shell scripting - suppressing and eliminating error messages

I'm using the following construction in a pkg-deinstall script for a port I
maintain:

if ( ${BATCH} ); then

The idea is, if you type make BATCH=1 deinstall, the port will deinstall
without running an interactive portion of the pkg-deinstall script.  If you
type make deinstall, the pkg-deinstall script runs.

The script works, but, when you use BATCH=1, it generates an error message:

# make BATCH=1 deinstall clean
===>  Deinstalling for security/sguil-server
===>   Deinstalling sguil-server-0.7.0_1
Stopping sguild......
sguild not running?
1: not found

Why is this error printing to stdout and how can I suppress it?  Or is there a
flaw in the logic that, if fixed, would resolve this problem?

--
Paul Schmehl
As if it wasn't already obvious,