Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:08:01 +0100
From:      Nils Vogels <nivo+sender+3564cf@yuckfou.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup supfile question

Alden Louis-Pierre wrote:

>    I just finished reading the Handbook for CVSup.  It appears to be a
> very simple process.  I'm currently running
> FreeBSD 4.8 and from my understanding you can keep your sources up to
> date via CVSup.  Does this
> mean if I were to do a fresh install of FreeBSD 4.8 and then CVSup my
> source all known security issues would
> be resolved for the particular FreeBSD I'm running?  Would the
> following supfile update all of my sources for
> FreeBSD 4.8?

Yes that is exactly what it means.

>    *default tag=RELENG_4_8
>    *default host cvsup3.FreeBSD.org
>    *default prefix=/usr
>    *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
>    *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
>      src-all
>
>    Is there a difference between using RELENG_4 vs RELENG_4_8?  I
> currently update all known security issues via
> patch < /path/to/patch method and following the instructions for each
> security advisor.

Yes, there is a difference.

It is explained graphically here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html#AEN99

When you have updated your sources, do not forget to run a make
build(world|kernel) depending on what kind of security patch was applied
to make sure your kernel or binaries are actually rebuilt.

Greetings,

Nils.