Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:34:30 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: {a}sync updates (was Re: make install trick)

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 03:15:03PM -0700, David Schwartz wrote:
> > > There should be fairly few writes to the root partition, so having
> > An opionion.  I use the HP workstation model where my / is 1800M.  I have

> 	You are not disagreeing with him, David. You are just talking about
> 	another scenario other than the one under discussion.
> 	He was talking about the case where root is small. This whole discussion
>   was about how softupdates behaves in the subcase of small root partitions.

This discussion was NOT about "how softupdates behaves in the subcase of
small root partitions"  Imp was having problems in the face of
softupdates on a full /.  The problem exists *reguardless* of how big /
is, the issues is % free.

> 	If you have a 1.8Gb root partition that also includes /var and /usr, this
> whole discussion is irrelevant.

Why??  Because / can now not fill up?  I've installed enough
KDE/GNOME/teTeX/etc... ports (plus /usr/{ports,src}) that I have acutally
filled it up before.

(And before I'm attacked for my organization -- if I can get it back from
the CDROM and it lives in /usr, it is on the / file systems which I don't
back up, as there is no use to.)

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)