Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 95 9:39:07 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        taob@aries.ibms.sinica.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Plug-n-Play Internet acccess (was Re: httpd as part of the system.)

> > Do most ISP's that offer SLIP/PPP
> > services provide IMAP servers?
>
> Most of them provide POP.

On the other hand, so does the IMAP daemon.

The consideration to make here is whether you want to be storing
their mail and have them reading it while they are connected or
whether you want them to store their mail and read it offline.

As an ISP, this would depend on whether you charged for connect
time and whether you were under/over capacity on your incoming
lines.

Most ISP's charge flat rate for accounts and are over capacity,
so it makes sens to download the mail to get it off your disk
and on to the customers at the same time freeing up a phone line.

Typically I dislike POP because it implies I will have one
machine with me all the time and access from various locations
rather than using various machines at various locations to access
the same information.

The reason for using a client/server protocol in that case would
be to get a mail API, something UNIX boxes are sadly lacking.

I will probably change my mind once I get a portable machine.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.