Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:19:12 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter <peterpub2@aboutsupport.com>, VeeJay <maanjee@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Where am I wasting resources? How to fix this problem?

On Tuesday 28 April 2009 14:21:45 VeeJay wrote:
> Hello Peter
>
> Thanks... I have tried the values but even after rebooting, I am still
> getting the same old values as:
>
> server1# sysctl -a | grep maxdsiz
>                             compat.ia32.maxdsiz: 536870912
>
> server1# sysctl -a | grep maxssiz
>                             compat.ia32.maxssiz: 67108864

It's a kenv(1) variable. Either way I don't think it's the problem. mysqld
uses 1500 threads and many apache processes waiting for mysql to reply. You
should figure out why that is, cause that sounds like a query that's holding a
table lock and needing to sort the intermediate result set, stalling all other
queries.
If you really have ~1500 connections and consider that normal operation, then
you may need more kernel memory.
amd64 doesn't have a process memory limit (feature or bug I'm undecided on),
so you can delete those.
Instead set:
vm.kmem_size_max="1024M"
vm.kmem_size="1024M"