Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:37:42 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Printer

If it's a new printer, my best suggestion would be to return it and
get an HP anything.

Some newer Lexmark printers do support standard protocols, but I went
and spent $80 for a Lexmark color printer several years ago that spent
more time working as a doorstop than a printer.  They used - and still
do for some printers - proprietary protocols, and release their own
drivers - you guessed it - for Windows only.  And sometimes not even
for all versions of Windows.  My one Windows system was NT, and it
wasn't supported.  At the time, I was a Linux user, and even the
reverse engineered Linux drivers weren't able to get it working.

On top of that, for the short time I did have it working (on Win98 -
blech) I found printing quality and speed to be nothing short of poor.

I'll never buy a Lexmark again, and if given one, I'll immediately put
it on EBay or just give it to my front curb.

Lou

On 12/27/04 02:25 PM, Leon sat at the `puter and typed: