Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2014 16:23:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else seeing lockup on boot with r271042?

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, Warren Block wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, Mateusz Guzik wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 02:31:47PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
>>> With 10-STABLE r271042, my amd64 desktop system locks hard when devd
>>> starts, or just after.
>>>
>>> Booting with devd disabled is possible, and it can be started after
>>> the system is up.
>>
>> Can try to narrow down exact revision which introduces the problem?
>
> Checking now.  r270986 is okay.  Based on the changes, I'm guessing it is
> some interaction with vt and moused triggered by devd.

And that seems to be just what it is.  During one restart, I saw the
devd message, but also a part of a moused message before it locked up.
I have a USB mouse, without moused explicitly enabled in /etc/rc.conf.

The lockup with devd starts with r271022.  It can't always be started
after startup, feels like a race.