Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:53:11 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        shag@concentric.net
Cc:        bob@luke.pmr.com, joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu, davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My opinion about freebsd (fwd)

   Sender: shaggy@houseofduck.dyn.ml.org
   Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 21:58:48 -0600
   From: Joshua Fielden <shag@concentric.net>

	   I have done internal and external support on both Mac and Win
   platforms, and the one thing I have noticed is the smaller the
   organization, the better support you get. When you start getting into
   larger companies, they merely hire warm bodies who can pass a basic
   proficiency test, just to get people answering the phones, and there is
   no internal access to the people who make things tick. In smaller
   companies, where they may only have 3-5 people answering support calls,
   every call needs to "count" more, and the actual rep has a much better
   chance of being able to flag down the person who wrote the program, or
   did the QA testing, and query them specifically, in order to get a more
   specific and personal answer. It's also easier to circulate new
   information among a smaller group, and compare notes quicker. This means
   new bugs are isolated and found quicker, and the overall support gets
   better as new workarounds/incompatabilities are fully circulated within
   hours, rather than days or weeks.

In my experience, smaller organizations always have less ability to
create beauracracy.  As far as I can tell, in any orgainzation with
at least a hundred people, half of them will be dead wieght.

Or, at the very least, half the people will be doing things which
aren't ultimately necissary for human survival.  For example,
in an optimal world, we would need farmers, and we'd need programmers.
We wouldn't need people worrying about software licesning, we wouldn't
need banks or insurance agencies, etc.

(A furthur optomization would be to automate farming so that people
wouldn't need to be involved in it.)