Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 08:09:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      NetSonic Support Staff <adam@netsonic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   continued FTP problems

Hello..

A while back I was having problems ftp'ing into a system.  Since then
suggestions have been made to check my shells and error logs.

my shells are as follows

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/tcsh
/usr/local/bin/ksh

So this does not appear to be the problem.

I still get the following when trying to ftp to the box.. (I can ftp out
fine, i just cant ftp into)

$ ftp 207.170.35.68
Connected to 207.170.35.68.
220 intranet.lrc.com FTP server (Version 6.00) ready.
Name (207.170.35.68:adam): adam
530 User adam access denied.
ftp: Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

Ive even added another user and tried

of which I get a different error

$ ftp 207.170.35.68
Connected to 207.170.35.68.
220 intranet.lrc.com FTP server (Version 6.00) ready.
Name (207.170.35.68:adam): adam8
331 Password required for adam8.
Password:
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp: Login failed.
ftp: No control connection for command: Undefined error: 0
ftp>

Error logs are showing
/var/messages

Aug 18 08:06:53 intranet ftpd[26949]: FTP LOGIN REFUSED FROM
ns5.netsonic.com, adam

but no entry for the second attempt.

We are running
# uname -a
FreeBSD intranet.lrc.com 2.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE #0: Tue Apr
1 11:51:00 GMT 1997     jkh@whisker.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
i386

Any help would be appreciated