Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:07:58 +0200
From:      Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
To:        Michael Abbott <michael@araneidae.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS locking: lockf freezes (rpc.lockd problem?)

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 11:24:13AM +0000, Michael Abbott wrote:
> I've been trying to make some sense of the "NFS locking" issue.  I am
> trying to run
> 	# make installworld DESTDIR=/mnt
> where /mnt is an NFS mount on a FreeBSD 4.11 server, but I am unable to
> get past a call to `lockf`.

I have not closely followed the discussion, as I have not experienced
the problem.

I am currently running FreeBSD6 based fileservers in an environment that
includes FreeBSD, Linux (multiple flavors), Solaris, and Irix clients,
and have experienced no nfs locking issues (I have one occasional
problem with 64-bit Linux clients, but it is not locking related and
appears to be due to a 64-bit Linux problem).

Further, (though there may well be problems with nfs locking) I cannot
recreate the problem you described -- at least in a FreeBSD6 environment.

I have just performed a test of what you describe, using 'smbtest'
(6.1-STABLE #17: Fri Aug 25 12:25:19 CEST 2006) as the client and
'data-2' (FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #16: Wed Aug  9 15:38:12 CEST 2006) as the
server.

   data-2 # mkdir /export/rw/bsd6root/
   ## /export/rw is already exported via NFS
   smbtest # mount data-2:/export/rw/bsd6root /mnt
   smbtest # cd /usr/src
   smbtest # make installworld DESTDIR=/mnt
   [...]
   makewhatis /mnt/usr/share/man
   makewhatis /mnt/usr/share/openssl/man
   rm -rf /tmp/install.2INObZ3j
   smbtest #

Which is to say that it completed successfully.  Which suggests that there
is not a serious and ongoing problem.

There may well be a problem with FreeBSD4, but I no longer have any NFS
servers running FreeBSD4.x, so I cannot confirm.  Alternatively, there
may have been a problem in 6.1-RELEASE that has since been solved in
6.1-STABLE that I am using.  Or there could be a problem with the
configuration of your server.  Or there could be something else going
on (in the network...?).

But to see what exactly is happening in your case, you would probably
want to look at what exactly is happening on the client, the server, and
the network between them.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk@byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL