Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:42:27 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Burning DVD-R's

On Dec 29, 2003, at 2:57 PM, Brett Glass wrote:
> Due to inevitable code and data bloat, I need to begin burning DVD-R's
> instead
> of CD-R's. However, the man page for FreeBSD's burncd(8) utility
> doesn't
> mention whether (or how) FreeBSD is capable of doing this on the
> Memorex ATAPI
> drive I have at hand. Can anyone tell me (a) whether FreeBSD can burn
> DVD-R's;
> (b) whether it wil work with this drive; and (c) what commands are
> required to
> do the burning?  All info much appreciated.

Yes, FreeBSD can burn DVD-R's.  Please see
/usr/ports/sysutils/dvd+rw-tools.  This port should work fine with an
ATAPI burner such as your unit, but you may need to rebuild the kernel
with:

device          atapicam

The command used is called "growisofs" and invokes "mkisofs" as needed
as a dependency.  The manpage includes the following examples:

"      To  master and burn an ISO9660 volume with Joliet and Rock-Ridge
exten-
        sions on a DVD:

             growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files

        To append more data to same DVD:

             growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -J /more/files

        Make sure to use the same options for both inital burning and
following
        sessions.  To use growisofs to write a pre-mastered ISO-image to
a DVD:

             growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

        where  image.iso represents an arbitrary object in the
filesystem, such
        as file, named pipe or device entry. Nothing is growing here
and  com-
        mand name is not intuitive in this context."

--
-Chuck