Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 1995 22:21:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Automounting CD-ROMs

As Marty Leisner wrote:

> Linux has a concent of "user" mount, so any user can generate a
> mount /cdrom command (if the entry for /cdrom is user).

I know (and no, it hasn't been implemented in FreeBSD), but that's
only one side of the coin.  The story continues if it comes to NFS
file systems, DOS file systems etc.  They should be mounted if they
are available at boot time, but they should or should not cause the
autoboot to stop, depending on their importance for the system.

The only one who can decide this is the local system administrator.
That's why i think the fstab flag ``optional'' is the best thing to
go.

Making the mount command available for a regular user (depending on a
flag in fstab) is another story.  However, it's not an absolute
requirement, since you can do this right now already e.g. with a
setuid Perl script.

--
cheers, J"org