Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2014 23:07:55 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FBSD10 Atheros wifi not working

On 04/15/14 12:16, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Wait, you don't have this problem on the install image when running from USB?
I thought I had answered this, but it doesn't appear to be showing in
the list (but that could just be my dying machine here with a slow email
client).

Thats the weird part of all this: the install disk could scan for APs
and setup the network, but the actual installed system is having a
coronary and can't do anything.

I've now managed to build a new kernel and install it (with debug), and
still no go. I can send the error logs if needed (privately), but I do
notice a lot of messages involving more than just the 9285 chipset
(5416, 5212) - is this normal?

The kernel picks the right product, as the logs show ath0: <Atheros
9285> and 'AR9285E_20 detected'. The errors remain unchanged though.
This new kernel also seems to crash quicker (or lock, might be a better
term - I need to hold the power button down and reboot for a response).
The other gave more time - might be the debug options? This happens
despite the sysctls turned off; with them on it turns in seconds rather
than around 2-3 minutes.

I could speculate further, but I reckon I'd hinder more than help at
this point.