Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:30:46 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@alcove.fr>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] New features for libvgl

Nicolas Souchu wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:14:01PM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > >
> > > Isn't your list of modes redundant with the internal data structures of the
> > > VGA/VESA driver? Why do you list modes if it's not to query a specific one?
> >
> > I believe that there should be possibility to do both these things, i.e. (1) query
> > list of available modes using some filter, so the aplication/toolkit will be able to
> > select one that matches its needs, and (2) let the video driver select the best one
> > given certain constrains. For example SDL provides a possibility to at least emulate
> > mode if is not directly available from video hardware, so it need to know what the
> > alternatives are.
>
> All this is done by GGI. I agree that you may need it for SDL.

So why not to put it into libvgl and allow any toolkit use this code?

> > I'm not very adamant about using internal data structures of video driver, because
> > they are too generic and include too much irrelevant details. Probably we should
> > extent VGLBitmap to include missing bits (depth, masks, etc).
>
> Maybe you should rather put it in your VGL<->SDL interface driver and just consider VGL as
> a drawing library.
>

> > > [skip]
> > >
> > > ++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >
> > Well, it's nice, but I'm not sure how it would work in the case of more high level
> > toolkit (like SDL). As I said earlier, application can request an arbitrary mode,
> > i.e. 349x246x19, so we have to do some adjustments before passing these parameters
> > to the video driver- to do this we should know what the alternatives are.
>
> See above.

I see. ;)

> > > About the mouse stuff, what is the exact usage of MousePointerShow? It's
> > > not documented in the manpage.
> >
> > It's internal VGL function used to draw a mouse pointer at the screen.
>
> So, the mousehandler is called each time the mouse is moving?

Yes, each time mouse is moving syscons driver sends a signal specified by the CONS_MOUSECTL
ioctl. What I'm proposing here is to add a knob to allow vgl-using apps to assign their own
handlers for this.

> The SDL library is
> synchronous with input peripheral?

It depends on specific driver implementation. You can make it to either query mouse position
periodically or be synchronous with input peripheral. Matter of taste ;).

> How will you handle acceleration with SDL?

There are not much you can do about acceleration with vgl, hovewer SDL in general contains a
provision for hardware accelerated blits.

Ok, do you have any patches for vgl yet? I would like to take  a look at it if possible.

-Maxim