Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:36:19 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jcwells@u.washington.edu, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fascinating GPL License 8)

At 01:50 PM 2/20/99 -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:

>> That's quite a bit less obnoxious. It works better because the owner
>> can assign the copyright and still use the code for commercial purposes.
>> That's not possible under the General Poverty License.
>>
>That is the best description of the "GPL" I have EVER heard...  More
>like GPLEFCVA$C...
>
>General poverty license except for cdrom vendors and $upport companies.
>
>(Hey, I don't care if people make money -- however developers should
> directly be in the money pipeline also !!!)

The problem is that the CD-ROM vendors and support companies ultimately
won't make money on GPLed software. There's tons of free support and
free literature already, and what can't be handled by reading that
generally requires an on-site consultant. (Doing things by phone is
TREMENDOUSLY expensive.) The CD-ROM vendors, likewise, will need to plan
for the day when high-bandwidth links are ubiquitous. They'll be able
to sell commercial software (including customized versions of BSD-licensed
stuff) and make money, but not GPLed software, because they won't be able
to gain even a small proprietary edge by adding novel features or improvements
to the code.

--Brett