Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:31:18 -0400
From:      Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jhb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crashinfo doesn't support compressed crashdumps - which way forward?

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 02:14:09PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the crashinfo script doesn't know how to handle compressed coredumps.
> What would be acceptable behavior (ordered by my preferrence)?
>   1) decompress in /var/crash and then proceed normally (already
> implemented locally)
>   2) decompress to CRASHTMPDIR:/var/tmp/xxx and delete when finished
>   3) keep it like it is
>   4) teach tools to understand compressed dumps (gzip / zstd)
>
> Implicitly there is the question what what is the purpose of
> compressing crashdumps, to have more RAM than space in dumpdev (which
> is valid in my case), or to save space in /var/crash (which I don't
> care much about).

I think jhb has a patch which implements 2).  I do not have strong
feelings on which is the right way forward, but I mildly prefer 2) to
1).  It looks like crashinfo can be disabled in rc.conf, so users who
are space-constrained in /var/crash can take the additional step of
setting crashinfo_enable=NO.  FWIW, when I committed the compression
support, my use-case involved both a small dump device and a small
/var filesystem.