Date:      Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:12:11 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        Rick van der Zwet <info@rickvanderzwet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck_ufs a 2TB partition with 256MB RAM stalls

On 7 July 2011 14:57, Rick van der Zwet <info@rickvanderzwet.nl> wrote:

> I want to build a file server with limited power usage, so I got
> myself an ALIX alix2d13 which has 256MB DDR RAM. I connected a 2TB
> USB2.0 disk to the alix2d13 to be used as storage.
>
> The file system gets corrupted due to power failure, which is likely
> going to happen when running Solar Power in The Netherlands, I cannot
> fix it anymore cause the fsck_ufs never to complete. This actually
> makes sense as the recommendation [1] says ``1TB storage needs 1GB of
> RAM for fsck_ufs''.
>
> I can partition my disk in 16 parts of 128GB to work around the
> matter, but I rather keep one large partition. Any recommendations of
> getting this solved or will the smaller partitions be my only friend?
>
> Br. /Rick
> [1]
> http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.freebsd.stable/msg/4f1dcc954ecb7392
> --
> http://rickvanderzwet.nl

you could try soft updates + journaling. This would negate the need for fsck
in nearly all cases. It would mean running CURRENT though. However it is
quite stable at the moment and has been for some time, to the rewards might
be worth the risk for you

http://freebsd.stokely.org/2010/05/kirk-mckusick-on-journaling-soft.html