Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 20:30:09 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.8 PR1 locks up for rm(1) big files

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 01:19:18AM +0100, Martin Blapp wrote:
>After deleting a 80GB file on a IDE disk, the disk got
>empty about 50% then rm(1) begun to consume all cpu and the
>system got more and more unresponsive. I could not interrupt
>the rm in any way, even kill -9 did not help, it was really
>busy with unlink().

It's not clear whether you have console access or not.  If you have
access to the console (and a kernel with DDB), break into ddb and
run "ps" - this will show what all the processes are going (and
specifically, what they are blocked on).

If you can't use DDB, another option would be to run "top" in another
session and see what it reports as the state of the top few processes.

Peter