Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:34:17 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Cc:        Heywood Jblome <provencial1@yahoo.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, andy@CRWdog.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Possible trojan since upgrade

--==_Exmh_694685106P

> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Heywood Jblome wrote:
>
> > -----------This is the entry in question--------
> > Sep 27 13:44:40 medusa sm-mta[1742]: g8RIiXgt001742:
> > from=<root@zzzzzz.com>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=1,
> > proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=[202.80.192.29]
>
> Could this just be someone doing the following:
>
>  telnet mx1.zzzzzz.com 25
>  helo blah
>  mail from: <root@zzzzzz.com>
>  quit

Increasinly common spammer trick, as is hitting the lowest-numbered MX
in DNS /first/ (and often only) on the principle that it's less likely
to be well-secured.

Unfortunately, both tricks often work, as any perusal of slime filters
for mail through an ISP account will readily demonstrate.

> I don't really know what that would accomplish, but I've seen stranger
> things.

It'll beat some lame anti-relay implementations.

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_694685106P

--==_Exmh_694685106P--