Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:58:16 -0500
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
To:        Matthew Jacob <lydianconcepts@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum vs. DPT smartcacheIV raid

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:08:42AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> I'd be more concerned about the age of these cards- they've got to be
> at least 10 years old.

They work and are hooked up to a bunch of IBM 9gb sca drives. Currently the
first card boots gentoo or something (someone gave me the box; I don't have
the root password so I haven't booted past the linux loader/grub/whatever).
/stand/sysinstall sees all the drives fine. The cards actually are very
forward-thinking, with a row of 15 blinkenlights reminiscent of Knight Rider,
a design which has since firmly incorporated itself into the current
bling-bling hardware.

I know these cards are old, but fbsd supports them and I don't want to
waste the drives on this rig. Also want to take a chance to play with RAID
for free(tm). Hence the cc to freebsd-hackers.