Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:58:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/man/man Makefile man.c src/etc/mtree BSD.local.dist BSD.usr.dist BSD.x11-4.dist BSD.x11.dist

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Dan Langille wrote:

> We've had users coming into IRC channels asking about the man page
> changes.  I don't fully understand the implications yet.  From the
> comments above, it sounds like each time I issue 'man ls', it's going to
> decompress the man page unless I do some tweaking.  Is that correct?
>
> If so, that's not good for me, and I suspect for a large number of other
> people.  Else, please ignore the next paragraph.

I don't understand the criticism here.  Here are the two cases in the
current scenario:

(1) catman doesn't exist, so man decompresses the nroff source, processes
    the nroff, spits it into a compressed catman file, and displays it to
    the user (I'm not sure if there's a double decompress here or not).

(2) catman does exist, so man decompresses the processed nroff and
    displays it for the user.

In the new scenario, (1) is eschewed under almost all situations so as to
avoid using a setuid application.  In no situation, new or old, was
compression ever not performed.

> Please don't force the majority of people to tweak their systems in
> order to avoid a theoretical problem for a small minority.  But if you
> insist upon doing so, then I feel you must provide a knob in
> /etc/defaults/make.conf.

Even the people who are objecting to providing no tweak here admit they
are not in the majority.

> I have read the commit message, but I don't have the knowledge to
> understand the implications.  Perhaps someone could explain it so I and
> others can understand what this change really means.

Then you should read the other messages in the thread, and the posts to
-arch.