Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:51:26 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        jonas@mcs.net (Lars Jonas Olsson)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Success with TORAY PD PhaseChange rewritable

E-mail message from Lars Jonas Olsson contained:

> Hi,
>  I'm about to buy probably both CDR and PD drives. How well does PD
> drives work? Do you have any www reference for lifetime, media costs,
> etc? In particular how much does media cost? Is it any good for
> archival? Is the Toray better/worse than other PD drives?

I haven't had it for very long but it behaves, at least under NT
(about a year, now).  I can look up the www reference and post it
together with the disktab (which is slightly wrong perhaps, but it worked :)

The manufacturer "guarantees" 10 year data life which is *much* better than
the tapes which are guaranteed for ONE year.

Here in Austria the media is not exceptionally cheap (about 400 ATS--40 USD),
but the drive is cheaper than a tape, and more useful, IMHO.
It doubles up as a CD-ROM as well (quad-speed only, though).

As far as archival is concerned, it is rather slowish--cca. 300 KB/s with
dump overhead, 360 KB/s theoretical speed.  It reads with quad-speed, though.
It is marginally useful as an additional disk for day-to-day work; I use it
for Radiance work where the write and read speeds are of absolutely no
importance.  Overall, I am happy with it as a personal archival media; it's
good enough.

TORAY is just a brand name; the thing announces its vendor as MATSHITA.  My
guess is they are all the same inside.  TORAY name is the only one available
in Austria, AFAIK (my cousin sells them :) so I cannot offer any
comparisons.

Hope this helped.

/Marino