Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 00:42:48 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   suggestions on play video

A friend of mine has asked to realize for him an information box for
putting in a video store where users can browse or search in his movie
database looking for informations or pictures of the movies...

I think to make it with a FreeBSD box, html pages, PostgreSQl or Mysql and
Netscape 3 (that can disable everything like close buttons, navigation
toolbars and so on...)

But there is a thing that I am not sure how to implement.
He asked me to show some video trails too ... I can make them in any format
I like, but I am not sure how I can play them back...
Xanim can do the job for me ? Netscape can play any video format natively ?
It's not a problem to launch an external program from the html itself, but
it has to works...

So I am looking for suggestions:
1) Which kind of format have I to use (mpeg, avi etc ... )  ??
2) Which program have I to use (xanim, netscape itself ...) ??
3) Which kind of (sound) hardware works best with pcm0 drivers (and with
the tool at point 1) ?

Thanks for your time ...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it