Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 11:58:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bidirectional parallel port?

> I gather from the docs that the parallel port (/dev/lpt0) is output only.
>
> However, I gather that the parallel port can be used for IP, which means
> that it can also be bidirectional.
>
> What's the story?
>
> I haven't been able to get bidirectional I/O to the port with a
> PostScript printer.

I believe you need a program that will take advantage of the postscript
commands from the printer on the lpt?: line.  The newer parallel ports
can use the interrupt line whereas the older ones were broken in the
hardware.  apsfilter will use the serial port to do what you want to
do with the postscript printer, but will not do it with the parallel
port.  You could try to fiddle with the code to make it work the way
the serial code works!!!!!

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088