Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:23:17 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "PetBuilder" <petbuilder@mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which Ports are what

[Context lost to top posting.]

PetBuilder <petbuilder@mediaone.net> types:
> Ok, I sorry I don't know the exact terminology, but please bare with me.
> What I want to do, Now that I finally got Apache loaded (thanks to everyone
> who helped), is to get perl 5.6 loaded. I usually use ActiveState's perl 5.6
> with Win2000 and it is easy to install. Is there a ActiveState package
> available in the ports section that is available for download and do I need
> to do anything special to get it to work with apache 2.0.16.
> When I go to the Perl5 section of the ports area there is 533 files to
> choose from. I cannot find perl 5.6 only 5.005. Is this the only package
> available for FreeBSD (in the ported section) or am I missing something?
> Also, what additional files are recommended with the program.

I recommend python instead of perl, but that probably isn't what you want.

The perl section of the ports is programs/modules *written in*
perl. To get perl 5.6, you need to go to the lang section of the ports
tree, and use perl5. As of yesterday, it was 5.6.1.

Note that it will install perl in /usr/local, not /usr. /usr/bin/perl
will be whichever perl 5.005 installed with the
system. /usr/local/bin/perl will be 5.6.1.

You should search the -questions archive for information on running
both versions of perl at once, or replacing the system perl with 5.6,
whichever you decide to do.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.