Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 02:06:25 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confirmation: ext2fs requires kernel rebuild?

Thus spake Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>:
> 	I'm trying to get at a file on an ext2fs slice. I'm a bit
> confused about kernel recompiles vs. KLDs for Linux compatibility,
> though. Am I reading correctly at
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html>;
> & <http://www.seabug.org/archive/2000-05/msg00086.html>, that I can
> run Linux applications with a single command or rc.conf entry, but
> accessing files on ext2 file systems requires a kernel rebuild?
>
> 	This seems a bit backwards -- is anyone aware of work to make
> ext2fs a standard module, so it can be loaded under GENERIC?

Running Linux binaries and using Linux filesystems are two
completely different things.  To to the former, and the
appropriate rc.conf entry and install ports/emulators/linux_base
as described in the Handbook.  To use ext2fs, you can either add
the option EXT2FS to your kernel config to compile it statically
into your kernel, or you can load the ext2fs module dynamically,
even into GENERIC.  To do the latter, the module must exist;
it will be created if you make the kernel with -DWANT_EXT2FS_MODULE.
It is also installed by sysinstall, IIRC.